I like when people do nice things on the Internet

I do not go on tiktok expecting to find something profound, I go on tiktok to entertain myself whenever I can not, for some reason, look away from my phone, but I've come across some things that have had me thinking. Recently, I have been aiming to use the Internet in much better ways than scrolling through a seemingly never-ending stream of content, of videos, of short pieces of words. I have learned a little of html and css, I intend to start Javascript the day after this blogpost is first being written and, who knows, perhaps I may even learn Python, C++ and UI/UX, whatever they are - I learn as I go. I deeply apppreciate the internet for the access it gives to an unprecendented form of universe and unlimited avenues for connection and community-building. I once held the opinion that a lot of problems in the world would disappear with the eradication of the internet. How naive such an opinion is.

The internet is so important for so may reasons, and I think the feature I enjoy the most about it is the opportunity it gives people to dedicate their time to creating and then dedicating more to present the documentation of this creation to others. This week, I have watched videos of someone who creates dolls and produces stop-motion animation of the dolls dancing to k-pop group, New Jeans;another person who is trying their very best to make omurice (a Japanese preparation of egg and rice) properly; multiple people who've taken up pottery to make items they want to have at home. Further back, spanning the past few months, I have come across insane websites of intelligent people, people who dedicate so much time to document their interests on the internet, people who are very loyal to their principles, even living in some situations that others would describe as extreme. I watch a lady who is doing her best to perfect her sourdough starter and care for her garden. She never speeds up her videos so they span hours. This website is one thing that I am incredibly happy to have stumbled upon. Beautiful words, beautiful website, beautiful example of the Internet's possibility when we step outside the limitations we have subconsciously accepted to be placed on our internet use.

I find it so interesting to watch people or read about them and what they do, to see the products of their hardwork. I also appreciate largely the hardwork done by users to create entirely new worlds and backdrops to present parts of themselves. I could drawl on and on about the importance of learning to create with the Internet, but the biggest motivation to do so comes from seeing what others have done themselves, and wanting that for yourself. At least, that was my biggest motivation.

I began this blog in order to have my own little pocket in the vast web, now I have five pockets of blogs, all for a different purpose. It is very fun and it is so enjoyable to see people's art, writing, strength, intelligence, gardening skill, culinary skills, friendships and all. I recognise that whenever I discuss the internet, my young age begins to show (though I am sure no one would ever mistake for being wise and highly learned), but it truly is something that brings out the childish joy within me.

Favourite websites: Lauren Schwultz's personal web, Collection of thoughts belonging to someone named Wesley, very sweet website, a directory of handmade websites and somewhere to learn about making websites

Thank you so much for reading, please provide me with any criticisms you may have at my email!
-MM

Comments